Father's day is right around the corner and we had to be a little extra creative in our gift ideas this year. Needless to say, baseball tickets, concerts, gym memberships and dinner at your father's favorite restaurant are out.
So what's in? We've put together a fantastic list of father's day gift ideas for seniors that cover the span of entertainment, safety, comfort, technology and hobbies.
5 Tech (and Tech-Lite) Father's Day Gift Ideas
1. Key, Wallet, Luggage, Pet, Item Finders
Does your father lose his keys, wallet, phone or glasses? Help him (and everyone else) find his stuff with less hassle and a whole lo easier.
- Bluetooth finder though your phone starting at $36
- RF Frequency finder (don't need a phone) starting at $22
2. Digital Voice Assistants
Help your dad use voice commands to make phone calls, get the weather, play his favorite music, turn on the lights and get scheduling reminders. Great for everyone, but especially for those with vision impairment, mobility issues and mild cognitive impairment.
- Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 3rd Gen starting at $55
- Amazon Echo Show With 8 inch screen and Alexa starting at $100
- Google Next Hub Smart Display starting at $129.99
3. Senior Mobile Phones
Sometimes less is more and bigger really is better. Mobile phones designed for seniors have larger icons and bigger buttons. Flip phones can simplify things even more.
4. Phone Cases
How about a drop proof phone case to help protect your dad's investment in his smart phone? Make his phone indestructible whether he drops from the kitchen counter top, getting out of the car, or walking down the stairs.
5. Mobile Tablets
With mobile tablets, your dad can read the newspaper at the breakfast table, watch the movies on his favorite sofa, or read bed time stories to his grandchildren. Screens are bigger than a smart phone, and portability makes them a lot more convenient than a desktop.
4 Gift Ideas for Your Father's Health & Safety
1. Medical Alert Systems
Give yourself and your father peace of mind with a medical alert system. Whether he's taking shower, gardening, going for a walk or taking the garbage to the curb, he'll be protected. Now you can even get automatic fall detection and GPS tracking. With a cost of less than a cup of coffee a day, no contracts and 30 day money back guarantees, it's worth a try!
- MobileHelp with 30 day money back guarantee starting at $19.95 / month
- LifeFone with 30 day money back guarantee starting at $24.95 / month
2. Medication Reminder
Does your father have difficulty remembering to take his medications? While you can certainly set-up reminders in his mobile phone and digital voice assistant, you can also get medication reminder alarms that are recorded in your own voice - a technique that often helps with compliance.
3. Pill Organizer
Weekly or monthly pill organizers can be used to organize pills for each time of day from breakfast, lunch and dinner to in between. Great way to ensure dad is taking the right pills at the right time.
- 7 Day Pill Organizer Box starting at $17
- 30 Day Pill Organizer Box (4 doses per day) starting at $40
- Hero Medication Organizer, Reminder and automated Dispenser starting at $29.99 / month, $99.99 start-up fee
4. Blood Pressure Monitor
Let your dad monitor his own vitals, instead of worrying himself sick and harassing his doctor day in and day out.
- Blood pressure monitor starting at $50
- EKG Polar Heart rate monitor starting at $86
- Zacurate Pro Series blood oxygen monitor starting at $35
4 Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas for Senior Dads
1. Oversized Playing Cards
Whether your father plays poker, gin, blackjack or solitaire, bigger cards are easier to see and easier to handle.
- Oversized playing cards starting at $12
2. Brain Teasers
Perhaps your father likes a mental challenge. If so, he may like a book of crossword puzzles, anagrams, word finders, Soduko or other brain teasers.
- 50 NY Times Easy Crossword puzzles starting at $9
- 399 Games, Puzzles and Trivia Teasers starting at $11
- 1,000+ Soduko Puzzles starting at $10
3. Bird Feeders
Nothing lifts the spirits like coming into close contact with nature and wild animals. Give your father the gift of friendship with birds. A bird feeder can be placed in his yard, porch or balcony, giving him hours of pleasure in all seasons.
4. Ancestry.com Membership
What's more fun than learning about your family roots. Help your father piece together his past and maybe even reconnect with long lost family members through genetic tests.
3 Clothing Ideas For Father's Day
Not all slippers are created equal. You'll want to get a pair that helps your father avoid falls. They'll have to be slip proof and have a backing around his heel, to avoid falling off while walking or going up and down the stairs.
- Acorn Men's Slippers starting at $30
- Lands' End Men's Suede Leather Moccasin Slippers starting at $55
2. Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets are proven to be therapeutic. They often help relax individuals who get irritated easily, are anxious or nervous.
- LUNA Adult Weighted Blanket starting at $65
3. Compression Socks
Compression socks can help with, hypotension, circulation and reduce pain and swelling in the ankles and lower legs.
4 Father's Day Gifts That Will Make His Life Easier
1. Boot Jack
Boot jacks make taking off the toughest shoes and boots easy as pie, without having to bend down. Whether their tight fitting around the heel, slippery or muddy (and you just don't want to touch them), boot jacks make life easy.
- Boot jack starting at $14
2. Extra long shoe horn
Getting on shoes is a whole other story. Getting dad an extra long shoe horn can help him slide right into his favorite loafers without having to bend too low, and helps easily slide his heel into his shoes.
- 31.5 Inch Extra Long Shoe Horn starting at $20
3. Rechargeable Razor
Have you noticed your father showing up to family dinners with a few more nicks, scrapes and bloody toilet paper dolloped onto his face? With shaking hands, impaired vision and looser skin, it may be time to turn in his blades for a safer, more comfortable and better shave with an electric razor.
- Philips Norelco Wet/dry Rechargeable Razor starting at $80
4. Electric Toothbrush
Electric toothbrushes are proven to help oral hygiene. As our fathers age, some may find it more difficult to manipulate a toothbrush. An electric toothbrush will make the process easier for him and will likely help make his teeth sparkle!
- Oral-B Pro Electric Toothbrush starting at $50
2 Father's Day Gifts to Help Dad Sleep Better
1. White Noise Machine
Does your dad have trouble getting to sleep? Does he complain your mother snores, or vice versa? Sometimes a little white noise can do the trick.
- Adaptive Sound White Noise Machine starting at $42
2. The Best Pillow in the World
We're all looking for that magic pillow that suites us just right. There's a pillow for every preference.